You know I like to do things differently. Perhaps too differently this time though.
The other thing about it is that I tried to make it a concept mix, so not only just trying to pick music that flows but also that told a story – in this case a love story. Whether it works or not I will leave up to you to judge – it worked brilliantly when I was in the right mood but in the cold light of day I think I may have ruined it with my "extra touches".
Before you ask - the love story is just a love story. It isn't based on my life or anyone else I know.
I do not think this is my best, other DJs tell me you get more self-critical as you go on, and I think perhaps I am trying to run before I can walk, so for my next mix I am going to try to go back to basics, stick to one genre or two. And keep the microphone switched off - oh well you have to try things don't you?
The tracklisting is as follows:
1. Azari & Iii - Into The Night (Nicolas Jaar Remix)
2. No Regular Play - Lookin'
3. Tanner Ross - 4u (Deniz Kurtel Remix)
4. Nine Kraviz - You Take
5. Noir - Around (Solomun Remix)
6. Luca C & Brigante - Different Morals (Clockwork Remix)
7. David K - Somewhere In My Head (Deetron Remix)
8. Pillow Talk - The Come Back
9. Duke - So In Love With You (Gummihz Edit)
10. Whodini - Friends
11. Human League - Don't You Want Me (Extended Mix)
12. Steffi - Sadness
13. My Favourite Robot - Wakinda Park (Art Department Edit)
And why -
1. Azari & Iii - Into The Night (Nicolas Jaar Remix) - This is a brilliant track to warm up with, it comes in too parts and it builds up a romantic story.2. No Regular Play - Lookin' - A super next track to build up the mix more and hopefully get people warmed up to the idea of dancing, and also it seems to tell a story of being stood up.
3. Tanner Ross - 4u (Deniz Kurtel Remix) - This is a bhttp://www.mixcloud.com/jamesthemonkeh/death-to-vocals-a-love-story/it more mellow and also a slightly sad track, with the girl saying sorry in a way.
4. Nine Kraviz - You Take - A James Winfield mix is not a James Winfield mix without a bit of Nina Kraviz and she develops the story by advising that she is poison for the other person's love.
5. Noir - Around (Solomun Remix) - This is such a massive track, and such a fantastic track - and with an increasingly bitter guy thinking "what goes around comes around"
6. Luca C & Brigante - Different Morals (Clockwork Remix) - A bit more of a relaxed laid back vibe with a guy who is coming to the conclusion that they have different morals and cannot be together.
7. David K - Somewhere In My Head (Deetron Remix) - I slowed down this track quite a bit, quite an angry vocal with the increasingly annoyed and jilted guy who just wants to get out of his head.
8. Pillow Talk - The Come Back - I love this song, it comes in too parts, one slow and cute, the other rnb (yes sorry!). And yes, he wants her back.
9. Duke - So In Love With You (Gummihz Edit) - A cracking remix of an old track - minimal mixing, it didn't really need it given the direction I am going in. Needs no explanation as to its place in the story.
10. Whodini - Friends - Hip-hop. Yes, a track about the value of friends, and it seems like this guy might need them.
11. Human League - Don't You Want Me (Extended Mix) - Classic 80's electro track, and the guy still cannot get over her.
12. Steffi - Sadness - A very sad house track to almost finish the mix (and a crap mix into it, oops).
13. My Favourite Robot - Wakinda Park (Art Department Edit) - Time for a walk in the park. This track goes on for quite a time and is just perfect melancholy.
As always I would love your thoughts even if they are negative.